EnergyAustralia sells electricity to over 1.4 million households, or under 15% of Australia's residential customers, according to 2021-22 figures. It joined the Australian market in 1995 and claims to deliver simple, more affordable energy.
EnergyAustralia is one of the few energy retailers that has carbon neutral status for its organisation, but this doesn't mean its energy production is carbon neutral.
EnergyAustralia was established in 1995 currently. It is a foreign owned entity primarily owned by CLP Holdings in Hong Kong, with its head office and call centre in Melbourne.
The company owns and operates coal, gas, solar and wind energy. It operates two large coal fired power stations and a gas-fired power plan in New South Wales.
EnergyAustralia is one of the few carbon neutral power companies in Australia, however this is purely one of their products where customers can choose to "Go Neutral", not their organisation.
Contact details for Energy Australia
- 13 34 66
- EnergyAustralia is the second biggest carbon polluter in Australia, according to the Green Electricity Guide.
- After earning a green electricity score of 6 out of 10 stars in 2019-20, Energy Australia dropped to 1.5 stars our 2020-21 survey.
- Although it invested heavily in renewables in 2017, it has the least ambitious decarbonisation goals of Australia's 'big 3' energy providers.
- It mines coal as well as burning it, and plans to burn coal until 2040.
- EnergyAustralia offers carbon offsets.
- One of its products is carbon neutral (but not the organisation).
- 21,912 (or 1.6%) of EnergyAustralia's customers lodged complaints against the company in 2021-22.
- 53% of calls made to EnergyAustralia are answered within 30 seconds.
- Some callers are left waiting longer – the average wait time is 308 seconds.
- 12.4% of callers hang up before their call is answered.
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.