Alinta Energy services several states throughout Australia, including the Pilbara region of Western Australia. The company claims that its goal is to deliver affordable sustainable energy to its customers, now and into the future. However, it does not have a position on fossil fuels and so far has made little effort to comply with Renewable Energy Target requirements.
Established in 2016, Alinta Energy is a US-owned company that operates in Western Australia, South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria. It is a generator and retailer of energy, and offers electricity and gas to its customers.
The company owns and operates a number of power plants throughout Australia and in New Zealand. Looking towards the future, Alinta Energy is also investing in a number of renewable energy options, including solar, wind and geothermal power and gaining the rights to a 500MW renewable energy project pipeline.
However, despite providing energy efficiency information on its website and producing a sustainability report, the company failed to comply with Renewable Energy Target requirements in 2016, and bought a $1 billion coal-fired power station in 2017.
Neither the organisation nor its products are carbon neutral, and it does not offer GreenPower or carbon offsets to its customers, despite sustainability claims.
Contact details for Alinta Energy
13 37 02
- Alinta Energy claims to be working towards sustainability, but the company received a mere two stars from The Green Electricity Guide due to its reliance on fossil fuels, a failure to comply with Renewable Energy Target requirements, and ownership of coal-fire power stations.
- The company's generated power comes predominately from gas-fired power stations, with a small amount (7%) of its power coming from renewable sources.
- Alinta's sustainability goal is to produce 1000MW of renewable energy by 2020. As of June 2018 it had totalled 543MW of renewable energy. The company currently has a 2726MW portfolio of power it has generated and bought.
- 9130 (2.3%) of Alinta Energy's customers lodged complaints against the company in 2018-19.
- 100% of customer service calls made to the company are answered within 30 seconds.
- The average time taken to answer a call made to Alinta Energy is 24 seconds.
- Only 5% of callers hang up before their call is answered.
The graphic below shows Alinta's cheapest and most expensive offers (yearly price), compared to the average cheapest and average most expensive offers for each city.