AGL sells electricity to just under 2 million households, or over 20% of Australia's residential customers, according to 2019/20 figures. AGL joined the Australian market in 1837, supplying gas for street lamps, and claims to have a proud heritage of innovation. AGL speaks toward sustainability in its media pages, claiming approximately 20% of the total generation capacity within Australia's National Electricity Market.
AGL was established in 1837 and currently has over 1.9 million residential customers - it is a publicly owned entity, which means it is partially Australian owned. Its head office is in Sydney. It is one of the few energy retailers that is carbon neutral for its product, and offers carbon offsets.
The company owns and operates coal, gas, battery, hydro, solar and wind energy. It operates large coal-fired power stations and gas-fired power plants.
Contact details for AGL Energy
- 13 12 45
- AGL currently has extensive current investments in CSG and coal power stations, with emissions intensity above NEM average.
- AGL was penalised by EPA NSW for pollution.
- Offers carbon offsets (other than GreenPower).
- AGL has comprehensive and accessible energy efficiency products and involvement in demand management/response programs.
- 48,330 (or 2.5%) of AGL's customers lodged complaints again the company in 2019-20.
- 80% of calls made to AGL are answered within 30 seconds.
- Some callers are left waiting longer – the average wait time is 34 seconds.
- 2% of callers hang up before their call is answered.