Whether grocery shopping in-store or online, consumers should be able to access clear and transparent information that will help them make an informed decision about the products they wish to buy. Since its introduction, consumers Australia-wide have benefited from the increased level of information available on food products through country of origin labelling, and this information has allowed them to make purchasing decisions that align with their personal needs and values.
CHOICE appreciates the opportunity to make a submission to the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources in its evaluation of country of origin food labelling and supports the continuation of the labelling framework, recognising the benefits that have arisen for consumers since its introduction. However, we believe the framework could be strengthened to ensure it is fit for purpose and matches consumer needs and expectations.
Download submission (PDF)
- Submission to the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources – Evaluation of Country of Origin Labelling for Food (401kb)
- Do you know which country your food comes from?
- How CHOICE won better country of origin labels
- Where does your frozen fruit and veg come from?
- Supermarket-brand groceries' country of origin labelling
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.