Origin Energy sells electricity to 2.2 million households, or just over 25% of Australia's residential customers, according to 2018/19 figures. The company claims to make energy more affordable, more sustainable, smarter and easier.
Established in 2000, Origin Energy has more than 2.2 million customers and is publicly owned.
The company owns and operates coal, natural gas, solar and wind power generator plants. It operates six natural gas fired power stations and one baseload station to provide everyday energy use. It also owns five peaking stations for peak power use, generally during the height of summer and winter months. Origin claims to be Australia's largest buyer of utility scale solar.
Like most energy retailers in Australia, Origin Energy is not carbon neutral, based on the national carbon offset standard.
Origin Energy's electricity tariffs vary according to your state and the chosen plan, and may include fixed-rate tariffs, discounts, a carbon-neutral option and solar feed-in tariffs.
Contact details for Origin Energy
- 13 24 61
Origin Australia is publicly listed and Australia's largest energy retailer.
- Origin Energy invests heavily in CSG (colloquially known as fracking), and lobbies for support in this area.
- However Origin Energy also heavily invests and supports demand response management.
- It has above average export solar pricing.
- Origin Energy also supports local energy trading.
- 48,350 (or 2.2%) of Origin Energy's customers lodged complaints in 2017-18.
- 63% of calls made to Origin Australia are answered within 30 seconds.
- Some callers are left waiting longer – the average wait time is 108 seconds.
- 11% of callers hang up before their call is answered.
While Origin Energy isn't gouging customers as much as other retailers are, it is going some way to meeting the lowest pricing, according to the 2017/18 numbers from the Australian Energy Regulator.
The graphic below shows Origin Energy's cheapest and most expensive offers (yearly price), compared to the average cheapest and average most expensive offers for each city.