Established in 1998, Aurora Energy operates throughout Tasmania and is owed by the State Government. Power supplied by Aurora is generated by Hydro Tasmania, and the company's head office is located in Hobart, with call centres in Hobart and Launceston.
Aurora is one of only two power companies currently serving the needs of Tasmanian customers, both business and residential.
Aurora Energy is 100% Tasmanian owned, and claims to be committed to supporting local communities, supporting the environment through sustainable power solutions, and supporting its customers.
Power is supplied by Hydro Tasmania's generation assets, which include hydroelectric power plants, wind farms and natural gas assets. The exact mix of energy sources is not publicly available.
Neither Aurora Energy's organisation or the product the company offers are carbon neutral. It is not considered climate active by the Green Electricity Guide.
Contact details for Aurora Energy
1300 13 2003
- Aurora Energy does not own any generation plants itself, but its parent company, Hydro Tasmania, only owns renewable assets including hydroelectric power stations, wind farms and natural gas plants.
- These gas plants continue to cause climate pollution.
- It generates predominately renewable energy.
- The company offers a lower than average price for GreenPower carbon offsets.
- It's green energy rating has increased to 8 out of 10 stars, up from 6 out of 10 in 2019–20.
- Aurora and Hydro Tasmania have not made their position on coal and coal seam gas public.
- The company's emissions intensity is close to zero.
- 8,621 customers (or 3.6%) made complaints against Aurora Energy in 2021–22.
- 47% of customer service calls made to Aurora were answered within 30 seconds. This is an increase on 36% in 2020–21 .
- The average wait time for a customer service call to be answered is 158 seconds. This is a significant decrease from the 242 second wait time recorded in 2020–21 and the second longest wait time in our survey.
- 13.9% of calls made to Aurora were abandoned before being answered.
The exact mix of Aurora Energy's power generation sources is not readily available, however the mix is made up of gas, hydro and wind power.
Stock images: Getty, unless otherwise stated.