Established in 1998, Aurora Energy operates throughout Tasmania and is owed by the State Government. Power supplied by Aurora is generated by Hydro Tasmania, and the company's head office is located in Hobart. Aurora is one of only two power companies currently serving the needs of Tasmanian customers, both business and residential.
Aurora Energy is 100% Tasmanian owned, and claims to be committed to supporting local communities, supporting the environment through sustainable power solutions, and supporting its customers.
Power is supplied by Hydro Tasmania's generation assets, which include hydroelectric power plants, wind farms and natural gas assets. The exact mix of energy sources is not publicly available.
Neither Aurora Energy's organisation or the product the company offers are carbon neutral.
Contact details for Aurora Energy
1300 13 2003
- Aurora Energy does not own any generation plants itself, but its parent company, Hydro Tasmania, only owns renewable assets including hydroelectric power stations, wind farms and natural gas plants.
- The company offers a lower than average price for GreenPower carbon offsets.
- Aurora and Hydro Tasmania have not made their position on coal and coal seam gas public.
- The company's emissions intensity is close to zero.
- 11,170 customers (4.6% of the company's total customer base) made complaints against Aurora Energy in 2019/20.
- 47% of customer service calls made to Aurora were answered within 30 seconds, according to 2019/20 data from AER.
- The average wait time for a customer service call to be answered is 70 seconds.
- 8% of calls made to Aurora were abandoned before being answered.
The exact mix of Aurora Energy's power generation sources is not readily available, however the mix is made up of gas, hydro and wind power.