The second-most frequented site after iSelect, choosi.com.au offers comparisons for health, life, funeral and pet insurance.
We have assessed sites using ASIC’s guidelines for financial comparison sites and principles developed by consumer groups (including CHOICE) for electricity comparison websites, as follows:
- Accuracy Do they clearly disclose the basis of awards or ratings? Do they include all providers, or a warning if not all providers are compared?
- Impartiality What kind of relationship do they have to the product providers on their site?
- Transparency Do they disclose links to providers including commissions, referral fees, payments for inclusion in comparisons and payments for featured products?
- A list of providers for each product is accessible from the homepage.
- Choosi compare seven out of a possible 36 health insurance products.
- The fine print on the bottom of the homepage states that Choosi does not provide information or offer cover for all products available on the market.
- There is a customer rating section on the site, but it’s not clear if this customer rating influences the recommended products - and the top products as rated by customers for life, income and funeral insurance are predominantly Hollard Financial Services brands.
- Choosi is owned by Hollard Financial Services which is the distributor of seven of the funeral, pet, life, and income protection insurance brands available on the site.
- You can only obtain quotes and purchase a policy through Choosi for brands listed as “Products Available Through Us” which, with the exception of health insurance, are all Hollard brands.
- The fine print on the bottom of the homepage declares Choosi’s links to Hollard Financial Services.
- Choosi’s “About Us” page advises that Choosi is paid a commission for products bought through Choosi.
- They also note “Choosi isn’t an insurer” (it’s just owned by an insurer).
- Choosi does not purport to compare the entire market and makes the range of insurance brands available very clear to consumers.
- Choosi is continually exploring opportunities to provide additional insurance brands.