22 insurers participated in the survey covering 89 policies. Webjet were unable to participate in this survey due to a re-write of their PDS while Travel Insurance Direct, World Nomads, Cheap Travel Insurance, Suresave and Budget Direct declined to be involved.
- 1300 Insurance, 1300 467 872
- 1Cover Direct Travel insurance, 1300 192 021
- AAMI, 13 22 44
- Allianz, 131 000
- AMERICAN EXPRESS, 1800 230 566
- Aussietravelcover, 1800 888 448
- CGU, 13 15 32
- Chartis, 1800 017 682
- Columbus Direct, 1300 669 999
- Cover-More Travel Insurance, 1300 72 88 22
- Defence Health Travel Insurance, 1800 102 994
- Good2Go, 1300 290 217
- insure4less, 1300 796 810
- Medibank Travel Insurance, 132 331
- Ouch, 1300 880 231
- Travel Insurance Cover, 02 9460 3812
- Southern Cross Travel Insurance, 02 8216 0200,
- Travel Insuranz, 1300 799 532
- Virgin Australia, 13 67 89
- Westpac, 1800 805 458
- Worldcare, 1800 008 614
- Zuji, 1800 142 070
How we rank
We looked at levels of cover for specific criteria to select and rate the policies. Policies that did not meet an acceptable level of cover for medical, cancellation, personal liability, terrorism and natural disasters are excluded from the selection. The remaining policies are scored according to their level of cover for these and other important features such as baggage, travel delay, pandemics and insolvency, and ranked relative to the policy premium.
We selected four travel scenarios based on typical regions and common travelling periods to these regions. Please note that annual travel policies have not been covered in this review.
The rankings are based on premiums for the widest possible age group up to 50 years of age. As many policies increase premiums incrementally year on year after this age, we have also provided the premiums available for travellers aged 65 to give an indication of the suitability of the policies for mature travellers.
Typical destinations within each region are as follows:
- Asia Pacific – New Zealand, Bali, Fiji
- Asia – China, India and South East Asia including Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Cambodia
- Europe – UK, Ireland and Continental Europe
- Worldwide – North and South America and Japan
Comparison Tables and Recommended Policies
Our comparison tables contain the premiums for each regional scenario in addition to the policy features for medical, cancellation, baggage, and travel delay. We also detail the policies that cover pregnancy and useful information for aged travellers such as the policy age limits.
Separately to the tables, we provide our recommendations for the best policies for Pregnant Travellers, Adventure Travellers and Travellers aged 65+.
CHOICE insurance reviews and buying guides
Looking for income security? Visit our income protection insurance article for more details on protecting your personal cashflow. For articles on health insurance, visit our health insurance comparison page. For other insurance reviews, please visit our Personal Insurance section.