We've compared health insurance policies from 20 open membership funds in Australia and have made recommendations based on the best value policies to suit a variety of people in different life stages.
Our review has found health insurance policies are increasing your out-of-pocket expenses while restricting the items you are covered for. So our recommendations assist you to filter out policies that drain your wallet and deliver you less.
Compared to similar policies, our recommended policies (for family cover) can annually save you on average up to:
$2700* on top hospital policies with $1000 excess
$2506* on top hospital with no excess
$2504* on top extras
*Premiums are before the 30% Private Health Insurance Rebate, check our report about changes to the rebate.
On this page, you'll find:
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 160,000+ members.
Get access to all
Health funds reviewed
- Australian Unity
- CDH Benefits
- Central West
- Health Partners
- Medibank Private
- Queensland Country Health Fund
- St Lukes
What you'll get in this report
- Our health insurance policy recommendations are assigned to categories to help you understand the different levels of cover.
- All about the gap We explain gap payments.
- How to assess extras insurance Find out if you're getting out what you put in.
- Switching checklist Discover how to switch health insurance the easy way.
- Navigate the traps A practical checklist of questions to ask, conditions to check and fine print to understand.
We have included combined cover in our recommendations for budget policies in the Young Healthy Singles and Couples scenario only.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.