61 people trialled the 13 mascaras for us. Participants were given a selection of mascaras with all product names removed. They trialled each one for three days.
Our results show that a big name or a higher price is not always a guarantee of how much you’ll like a product.
One of the highest rated mascaras was considerably cheaper than others rated equally.
- AUSTRALIS Lash Magnitude Volumising
- CLARINS Wonder Volume
- ELIZABETH ARDEN Double Density Maximum Volume
- ESTÉE LAUDER Magnascopic Maximum Volume
- LANCÔME Amplicils Full Dimension Volume
- MAX FACTOR 2000 Calorie
- MAYBELLINE Volum' Express Turbo Boost
- NAPOLEON Perdos Peep Show Madame Fantasia Volumising
- REVLON Fabulash
- RIMMEL Xtreme Volume Instant Full Volume Comb
- SHISEIDO Advanced Volume
- THE BODY SHOP Volumising
- YVES SAINT LAURENT Luxurious Mascara
The L’OREAL mascara that fell into the ‘volumising’ category is a ‘two-step’ product — a double-ended tube consisting of a white ‘primer’ at one end and the mascara at the other. Our market research only identified a few two-steps on the market at the time of our trial. We didn’t include them because they’re too obviously different from the other mascaras to be able to compare them fairly.