Test results for 15 paper shredders priced from $30 to $200
We tested for:
CHOICE tests are different. We buy the products we test — no freebies from manufacturers. Companies can't buy ads on our site and our work is funded by people like you.
- You don’t need to pay a fortune for a good-quality shredder. One model worked just as well as some three times the price.
- The cross-cut shredders worked better overall but there were a few strip-cut standouts.
- Some shredders are very heavy, and it can be difficult to remove the head to empty the bin.
- Shredders are potentially very dangerous and must be used with care.
Please note: this information was current as of April 2008 but is still a useful guide to today's market.
- FELLOWES P50CM #
- FELLOWES Powershred P-45C
- FELLOWES Powershred P-55C #
- FELLOWES Powershred PS-62C
- FELLOWES Safe shred SC5+ #
- HSM S10
- HSM X5
- LEDAH C-10Eco #
- OFFICE ONE CD combo VS710CD #
- OFFICE ONE VS502C
- OFFICE ONE VS502SB
- REXEL V50 #
- REXEL V55 #
- TDE SYSTEMS SC103 #
- TDE SYSTEMS XC203 #
What else you'll get in this report
As well as the test results for 15 models you'll also get:
Recommended retail prices and features for all models.
Invaluable buying information: Practical advice and tips. Read this before you buy!
CHOICE Shopper: Buy a membership and get this exclusive members' service that can save you time and money on your purchase.