We review 51 safety gates and barriers, priced from $20 to $199.
Our testing can help you to:
Why buy a safety gate?
When your child starts exploring the home, it’s time to batten down the hatches and make each room as child-safe as possible. You’ll need to block off access to the stairs and any other areas of the house that contain hazards, such as the kitchen, bathroom and garage. This is where safety gates and barriers come in handy, closing off dangerous areas and keeping your child out of harm’s way.
There’s no Australian Standard for safety gates so our testing is based on suitable clauses in the standards for cots, portable cots and toys – see how we test for more information.
- Baby Dan Premier Indicator (A)
- Baby Solutions Child Door Barrier #
- Baby Solutions Metal Safety Gate Double Lock USSG03
- Chicco Nightlight Autoclose Safety Gate, 361379 (A)
- Childcare Assisted Auto Close Gate 089340-003
- Dreambaby Extra-Tall Swing Closed Security Gate F190W (A)
- Dreambaby Hallway Security Gate F170W (A)
- Dreambaby Liberty Security Gate with Stay-Open Feature #
- Dreambaby Murano Security Gate #
- Dreambaby Retractable Gate, F820
- Dreambaby Sure Close Gate F870S
- Dreambaby Swing Closed Security Gate F160W (A)
- Dreambaby Timber Swing Gate F826
- Evenflo Soft and Wide Gate, 526335 (A)
- Ikea Patrull Fast 902.265.18
- InfaSecure 350 Scenic (A)
- InfaSecure Lupo 355
- InfaSecure Protecta Door Barrier, 320
- Jolly Kidz Smart Door Barrier - Small, JSB001 (A)
- Kiddy Cots Door Barrier, DB-1
- Lindam Numi - aluminium 44435
- Lindam Sure Shut Axis #
- Lindam Sure Shut Orto Pressure Fit Child Safety Gate 44430 (A)
- Love n Care Advanced Auto-Close Gate ACS/ELC
- Love n Care Child & Pet Gate BP3920 PETS/ELC (A)
- Love n Care Easyfit Gate BP3910 EFS/ELC
- Lucky Baby Smart System Swing Back Gate SG-03
- Mothercare Pressure Fix Wide Walk-through Wooden Safety Gate K2993 (A)
- Mothercare Swing Shut Safety Gate K2999 (A)
- North States Clear Choice Gate 4601 (A)
- North States Expandable Swing Gate, 4623 (A)
- North States Supergate Easy Open & Lock Gate, Wood, 4904 (A)
- Perma Child Safety Safety Doorway Gate 740
- Perma Secure Handle Safety Gate #
- Safety 1st Alarm Security Gate 42250 (A)
- Safety 1st Quick Close Gate, 35015720 (A)
- Safety 1st SecureTech Hands Free Gate #
- Safety 1st Tranzforma 013544
- Summer Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate, 07060C (A)
- Summer Stylish&Secure Slide and Lock Metal Gate #
- Summer Stylish&Secure Step to Open Gate #
- Summer Sure & Secure Custom Fit Gate 07160A (A)
- Target Deluxe Safety Gate 44743581 (A)
- The First Years Everywhere Safety Gate Y4996
- The First Years Expandable Swing Gate #
- The First Years Extra Tall and Wide Home Decor Gate Y7190
- The First Years Hands Free Gate, Y3600
- The First Years Hide-away Gate #
- Valco Guardian Swing Back Gate, N81321
- Valco Swing Back Gate SG03-21 (A)
- Vee Bee Guardian Extra Tall Extra Wide Automatic Swing Back Gate N81321
# Newly tested models
How we test
Our tester assembles and installs each gate/barrier according to the supplied instructions. He then looks for a range of potential hazards:
- gaps and moving parts that might trap fingers, limbs or heads
- climbing footholds
- detachable small parts that could be a choking hazard
- the strength of the gate and its attachment to the doorway
- sharp corners, edges and points
- projections or openings that could entangle clothing and lead to strangulation.
In the absence of an Australian Standard, there are two international standards for safety gates: the European EN1930 and the American ASTM F1004. Certification to either of these standards is certainly worth looking for.
Note: The gaps between the sides of the safety gate and the door frame (or walls of a passageway) are installation-dependent; that is, they can vary depending on the width of the door opening. Therefore, we don’t test these gaps for entrapment hazards. When installing a gate or barrier, make sure the gap between the gate and the door frame is as small as possible.
For more information on kids' Furniture see our Babies and kids section.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.