04.Summary: %DI guides vs traffic light labelling
The current %DI labelling system:
- Is not standardised, which means consumers who attempt to compare products using the %DI system may be comparing products with serving sizes ranging between 50g and 500g.
- Is voluntary and therefore not visible on similar products in the same category.
- Allows one product to recommend a serving size substantially different to that of a similar product. Of 28 product types, only one had zero variance.
A traffic light system would:
- Be based on a 100g or 100ml of products, which means consumers could compare products with ease.
- Interpret the nutritional information and translate it into traffic light representations which can be easily understood at a glance.
- Be consistent with the recommendations of the expert panel that reviewed food labelling.