17 October 2016
CHOICE is reminding Australians to take care when bringing the barbecue out of hibernation, after a spike in gas bottle fires over the weekend left at least one person in hospital suffering from burns.
CHOICE has confirmed a man was treated at Westmead hospital following a gas bottle explosion at a residential property. The incident comes as New South Wales Fire and Rescue reported a spate of liquefied petroleum gas explosions in the past few days.
"With the weather warming up, running a few safety checks on your gas bottle could stop more than your snags from getting burnt," says CHOICE Head of Media Tom Godfrey.
"The disturbing news this weekend is a timely reminder for all of us to make sure our gear is working properly and has been safely maintained.
"We don't want to see any more people injured by exploding gas bottles so please make sure your barbecue is in safe working order before you turn up the heat.
"This means replacing your gas bottles if they appear damaged or rusty, checking them for leaks and never, ever use a barbecue with the wrong sort of gas."
Tips on barbecue safety:
• Replace your gas bottles if they appear damaged or rusty
• Spray the hose and connections with soapy water; if bubbles form, then gas is leaking and the gas bottle hose and canister should be replaced
• Consider using a gas exchange program to replace empty bottles
• Don't store gas bottles indoors
• Don't leave gas bottles in the car
• Check connections are snug and clean
• Replace the gas bottle hose every five years
• Never use the wrong type of gas; the data plate on the side of the barbecue will tell you if it takes LPG or natural gas
For more information, see how to barbecue safely.
Media Inquiries Tom Godfrey, Head of Media and Spokesperson - 0430 172 669 - @choice_news
Set up by consumers for consumers, CHOICE is the consumer advocate that provides Australians with information and advice, free from commercial bias. As vital today as when we were founded in 1959, CHOICE continues to fight for consumers and uncover the truth. By mobilising Australia's largest and loudest consumer movement, CHOICE fights to hold industry and government accountable and achieve real change on the issues that matter most.