01.IntroductionWe review 28 types of dishwashing liquid for performance. Here we:
- test and compare which washing-up liquid is better for removing soil from dishes, and
- calculate the number of plates you'll be able to wash from one bottle, in order to determine which offers the best value for money.
On this page, you'll find:
If you don't have a dishwasher
, you still have to rely on the suds to get through that pile of dirty dishes. And for those of you who do have a dishwasher, you still need washing-up detergent for things that don’t fit in the dishwasher or the odd item that needs soaking.
CHOICE's experts independently test a wide range of products and services to bring you unbiased reviews, product comparison tools and buying advice that is trusted by 160,000+ members.
Get access to all
*Billed quarterly as $23.95
More than half of Australian households have a dishwasher, but that leaves a substantial number who have to rely on the washing-up detergent to clean their dishes.
- Aldi Green Action Peppermint
- Aldi Tandil Super Strength Lemon Fresh
- Aldi Tandil Ultra Lemon & Lime
- Aldi Unamat Dishwashing liquid
- Blast Ultra Plus Antibacterial Dish Concentrate
- Blast Ultra Plus Red Apple Dish Concentrate
- Coles Dishwashing liquid Super Strength Lemon
- Coles Smart Buy Dishwashing liquid
- Coles Ultra Antibacterial Orange with Tea-Tree
- Coles Ultra Lemon Fresh
- Earth Choice Green Tea & Lime Dishwash Concentrate
- Earth Choice Lemon Fresh
- Eco Store Lemon Dishwashing Liquid
- Fairy Lemon
- Fairy Platinum Lemon
- Morning Fresh All in 1 Gel Sparkling Fresh Advanced Formula
- Morning Fresh Super Concentrate Lemon Fresh
- Morning Fresh Super Concentrate Power Soaker
- Palmolive Divine Blends Vanilla & Berries Ultra Concentrate
- Palmolive Lemon Lime Ultra Concentrate
- Palmolive Original
- Palmolive Sensitive Hypoallergenic
- Spree Multi Action Lemon
- Trix Antibacterial Lemon
- Woolworths Home Brand Concentrated Dishwashing Liquid Lemon
- Woolworths Home Brand Lemon
- Woolworths Select Shine Antibacterial Concentrate
- Woolworths Select Shine Lavender Concentrate with Baking Soda
Overall score Using 4mL of each washing up liquid in a 5L basin, we wash plates pre-soiled with oils and foodstuffs at timed intervals until the foam in the basin collapses. Each product is tested three times. The overall score is based on the number of plates washed before the foam collapses. The value score is unweighted and is indicative only, and is not used as a basis for our recommendations because price fluctuates wildly in the marketplace.
Get access to our independent testing reports and save yourself time and money.