Price $3.40 per 500ml
This was the highest-rating product overall — the only one to rate significantly higher than average — and it also rated above average for mould removal. It’s also the cheapest of the top-rated products. It was only commercial product in the trial that’s poured rather than sprayed, which may account for its lower ease of use score. Trialists also noted a strong bleach-like smell.
- "Wonderful on tiles. Really gets the grime out…”
- “Cleans very well and forms a good lather… Left a persistent bleach smell.”
White King Bathroom Power Foam
Price $4.79 per 500ml
White King, which is a ‘Max strength’ cleaner, was above average for its effectiveness at removing mould. Trialists reported that less soap scum had accumulated one week after using this product. It rated below average for ease of use however and several trialists noted that the pump was difficult to adjust to get a good spray. Many trialists found the bleach smell overwhelming and 7% of trialists experienced serious irritation from this product.
- “Good to remove stubborn stains.”
- “The smell/fumes were overpowering and very unpleasant. The smell remained in the bathroom for close to a day...”
PINE O CLEEN Bathroom Power Foam
Price $4.58 per 500ml
This was the only aerosol spray included, and the only product rated above average for its effectiveness at removing soap scum and for taking less time to use than trialists’ usual products. It was rated above average for ease of use and also the appeal of its smell. Few trialists reported experiencing any irritation while using this product.
- “…Very easy to apply, especially on baths and it’s all clean literally within seconds. No fumes or hands smelling like bleach for the rest of the day. Love it!
- “Didn’t last as long as the White King.”
SELLEYS Rapid Mould Killer
Price $4.78 per 500ml
This product rated above average for removing mould and trialists reported that less soap scum than average had accumulated one week after using it. However, 42% of trialists reported experiencing minor irritation such as irritated nose, throat, stinging skin and feeling nauseous, as a result of using this product.
- “Worked very quickly, easy to use. Almost no scrubbing needed. Removed mould quickly. Quite strong chlorine smell, which stayed around for ages.”
- “Cleaned and removed mould straight away, also effective on removing soap scum. Very strong odour – wearing a mask and gloves is a must.”