The following models scored the best results in our test.
|What to buy|
|Convair Mastercool 850238-C
|Convair Magicool 004006
Full results for all models are shown in the table below.
* Measured at high fan speed.
** A timer that can switch the unit off after a set period.
(A) Discontinued; replaced by model 42058.
(B) Exclusive to Betta Electrical; being discontinued but still available in some stores.
(C) Three fan speeds plus a 'sleep' mode, which cycles the fan through five seconds each on high, medium and low speeds then stops for four seconds before repeating.
(D) A range of one-hour intervals from one to eight hours.
(E) Four settings: one, two, four or eight hours.
(F) A range of 30-minute intervals from 30 minutes to 7.5 hours.
(G) Excluding handle.
Price Recommended retail, as of September 2008.
The overall score is made up of:
- Evaporative efficiency (averaged across high and low fan speeds): 56%
- Airflow at high fan speed: 24%
- Ease of use: 20%
Ease of use consists of:
- Filling: 60%
- Controls: 20%
- Access: 16%
- Draining: 4%
How we tested
We put the coolers through a range of performance tests, based on the Australian Standard for evaporative coolers, AS2913-2000.
- Evaporative efficiency When water evaporates, it absorbs heat from the surrounding air. High evaporation efficiency means the cooler gets a better cooling effect for the water it uses.
- Airflow How much air the cooler can blow out in a given time. A strong airflow generally allows the unit to cool a larger area more effectively.
- Noise Measured one metre from the cooler at high and low fan speeds.
We also scored them for ease of use, based on:
- Filling the water tank An inlet spout that’s large enough and accessible, and a water level indicator that’s easy to read.
- Controls Easy to operate and labels that are easy to read and understand.
- Access for maintenance Easily removable panel, dust filter and wetting medium, preferably not requiring tools.
- Draining the water tank A drainage cap that’s easy to access and remove. Whether the cooler can fit a bucket underneath while draining, so you don’t need to take it outside.