Your utility rights

As utility bills continue to rise, it’s more important than ever to know your rights about disconnection.
Learn more

02.What should you do

  • Contact your retailer before your bill is due to let them know you’re having difficulty. 
  • Your retailer is required to offer you a payment plan. Only agree to a payment plan that is realistic in your circumstances as if you default you can be disconnected. 
  • If you can’t agree to an affordable payment plan or if you think you’ve been wrongfully disconnected, contact your local ombudsman. 
  • See a financial counsellor. Services are free for anyone in financial hardship. Call 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to speak to someone over the phone or go to Financial Counselling Australia to find one in your local area. 
  • See if you’re eligible for any concessions.
  • Reduce your energy and water usage. Most states and territories have a scheme to identify resource intensive appliances for those experiencing financial hardship. 

Energy and water ombudsmen

ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal
02 6207 1740

Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW
1800 246 545

Ombudsman NT
08 8999 1818

Energy & Water Ombudsman Queensland
1800 662 837

South Australia
Energy & Water Ombudsman South Australia
1800 665 565

Energy Ombudsman Tasmania
1800 001 170

Ombudsman Tasmania (water)
1800 001 170

Energy & Water Ombudsman Victoria
1800 500 509

Western Australia
Energy & Water Ombudsman Western Australia
1800 754 004


Sign up to our free

Receive FREE email updates of our latest tests, consumer news and CHOICE marketing promotions.

Your say - Choice voice

Make a Comment

Members – Sign in on the top right to contribute to comments