• Melt butter in a frypan or oven proof baking pan on medium heat, sweat onions and garlic until soft.
• Spread onion mixture in an oven proof baking / pie dish.
• Place half of the sliced potato over onions, season with salt and pepper.
• Layer fish over potatoes, sprinkle half the grated cheese over fish
• Layer the rest of the potatoes over cheese, season with salt and pepper
• Add lemon rind and thyme
• Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese, pour over cream and stock.
• Cover and place in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
• Remove lid in the last 10 minutes to brown top.
Other herbs can be used such as sage, bayleaf, oregano
Blue eyed cod, makeral, hake and ling can be used.
Vary any of the amounts to your own taste.