01.Oven roasted chicken
1.6kg Chicken, remove giblets, neck and interior fat. Chicken should now weigh at least 1.5 kg.
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon marjarom, roughly chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Salt and pepper to taste
• Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, fan forced, or 210°C in a conventional oven.
• Wash and dry chicken, truss chicken legs and turn the wings under the body.
• Place lemon inside cavity .
• Gently lift the skin on the breast and push the butter and marjoram under the skin. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Place chicken breast side down onto a rack in a heavy based shallow baking dish.
• Add two cups of water into the baking dish.
• Place chicken on the middle shelf.
• Cook for approximately 1 hour 20 minutes
• Turn chicken over half way through the cooking time, baste chicken with the juices and shield any areas that are cooking faster than others (wings, drumsticks and breast) with a piece of foil.
• Continue to cook chicken until the juices run clear and chicken is golden brown.
• Allow to stand covered with foil for 15 minutes
Try other herbs like sage thyme and rosemary or add garlic under the skin
Save pan juices to make a reduction