01.How to cook a steak
500g x 2 cm thick boneless steak (scotch fillet, rump, new york)
- Pre heat frypan /griddle /barbecue for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and olive oil.
- Sear on each side for approximately 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak. If you continually turn it over it will dry out. Use the "Rule of thumb" method below to ensure it's done to your liking.
- Rest for approximately 3 minutes.
- Don’t pierce it with a fork or knife as this will let the juices escape. Prod the steak with the back of a knife or a fork using the rules below to judge whetehr your steak is cooked to perfection.
- You can use the same rule for chicken but it must be well done.
Rule of thumb
Rare Hold one hand up loosely and with the other hand press the ball of your thumb (this is the fleshy part of your hand directly under your thumb). This should give you the feeling of a rare steak.
Medium Bring your index finger to your thumb to make a circle. Using your other hand, press the ball of your thumb to get the feeling of a steak that is medium done.
Well done Bring your middle finger to your thumb to make a circle, using your other hand press the ball of your thumb to get the feeling of a well done steak.