Epilators use a series of tiny, rotating tweezers to pull the hair out. They work in a similar way to wax, but without the mess and, because they remove hair from the root, the results should last for several weeks.
Of those surveyed, 40% thought epilators were either ‘very’ or ‘moderately’ painful to use and 43% also experienced some form of skin irritation (such as redness and itching). Despite these bad points, epilators were found to be the easiest to use and are very effective at removing hair from the lower leg. The gadgets were also very speedy, most taking 10 minutes or less to use.
Epilators are more expensive to buy than the other forms of hair removal, but the cost is a one-off, as opposed to the ongoing costs of other products.
Our top three epilators are all very easy to use and are effective at removing hair. At only $55, the Philips Satinelle HP2844 is a great buy.
Profiles - what to buy
The recommended models are listed below. See the results tables for ratings of other models.
Braun Silk-epil Xelle 5580
This epilator received equal best ease of use and effectiveness scores and most testers said it fitted comfortably into their hand. It also has a light designed to show hairs and also comes with attachments for the face and underarms/bikini line. It was the equal-most expensive epilator tested.
- “This was by far the best epilator [I tried] — extra features, the least painful and [has a] handy light.”
- “Epilator is nicely moulded to fit comfortably in the hand.”
Emjoi BodyBare Ultimate AP98R
The EMJOI has two sets of tweezers for faster hair removal and it’s cordless, which is handy if you’re travelling. It received equal best ease of use and effectiveness scores but was the equal most expensive epilator tested.
- “So much better than the epilator that I usually use — I’ll definitely buy one of these.”
- “Quick and not too painful, but nothing mind blowing.”
Philips Satinelle HP2844
This epilator was the cheapest tested and received equal best ease of use and effectiveness scores. It comes with an attachment so it can be used on delicate areas such as the bikini line and underarms.
- “I had no idea it was such a handy little gadget. I usually go to a salon for waxing. This is preferable.”
- “Compact and lightweight, which was a plus.”