User trial of eight 100% grey coverage permanent hair dyes
113 women trialled the 100% grey coverage, permanent hair dyes for us.
Seven were popular supermarket brands and one was an ammonia and hydrogen peroxide-free product.
We asked our trialists to assess:
- Effectiveness of colouring grey hair.
- Evenness of colour.
- Look and feel of the hair.
- Fragrance of hair dye.
- Durability and evenness over time.
- Ease of use.
- The look and feel of the hair three weeks later.
- Effectiveness at covering grey three weeks later.
- No product gave 100% satisfaction for covering grey hair, but some rated as definitely better than others.
- The ammonia and peroxide-free permanent hair colour delivered disappointing results.
- ATLANTIS HAIR Watercolour
- CLAIROL Nice 'n Easy Golden Romance Collection
- DECORÉ Permanent Colour
- GARNIER Nutrisse
- L'ORÉAL Paris Excellence Creme
- L'ORÉAL Paris Superior Preference
- SCHWARZKOPF Live Salon
- SCHWARZKOPF RevitalColor
Please note: this information was current as of May 2007 but is still a useful guide today.