CHOICE conducted a user trial of 14 hair dryers to find out if a hefty price tag or new technological features make a difference to the speed of drying or condition of your hair – or whether manufacturers' claims are just a bunch of hot air. We set out to discover:
- Does ionic technology really make a difference to the way your hair feels after drying?
- Will a ceramic heating element infused with tourmaline make your hair dry faster or look better?
- Do you really need to shell out more for expensive models just to make your hair feel smoother?
We collected trialists’ comments on what improvements to the look and feel of their hair they experienced after using the dryers. We also tested each dryer’s noise level and found a difference of between 84dBA and 90dBA, equivalent to the sound of a busy street.
CHOICE independence is guaranteed
These independent ratings are only available through membership with CHOICE Online because no one tests products like we do. Arm yourself with our unique and exclusive information and make your next purchase with confidence.
Brands and models tested
- Breville BHD400 #
- Joh Bailey JBD87 #
- Joh Bailey JBPD3600 #
- Maxim 9808 PowerMax #
- Philips TRESemmé HP4880-07 #
- Philips TRESemmé HP4891-17
- Remington Big Shot Pro Pack BS2000G
- Remington Salon Collection AC3000
- Sunbeam HD7850P
- Sunbeam HD8400 Nutrihair Dryer
- Twin Turbo Compact 3200
- VS Sassoon VSH225A
- VS Sassoon VSP6619A
- Wahl Supadryer
# Discontinued but may still be available in some stores.