User trial of 21 self-tanning products from $4.67 to $41 per 100ml
159 people trialled the 21 self-tanners for us, with each product being trialled an average of 15 times. Each participant trialled two products.
We asked our trialists to assess:
- How easy the products are to apply.
- How long they take to dry.
- If they have a nice smell.
- Whether they stained anything other than skin.
- How the colour looked one and five days after application.
- How even the colour was.
CHOICE tests are different. We buy the products we test — no freebies from manufacturers. Companies can't buy ads on our site and our work is funded by people like you.
Please note: this information was current as of October 2006 but is still a useful guide today.
- Our results show that a big name or a higher price is no guarantee of how much you’ll like a product. While some of the pricier products rated highly, a few cheaper options also did well.
- You’ll find lotions, pump sprays, aerosols, towelettes, gels and mousses, but the trialists didn’t consistently prefer any type over another.
- BANANA BOAT
- CHRISTIAN DIOR
- ELLA BACHÉ
- ESTÉE LAUDER
- GARNIER AMBRE SOLAIRE
- LE TAN
- MEGAN GALE
- MODEL CO
- NIVEA SUN
- ST TROPEZ
What else you'll get in this report
As well as the trialists' ratings of 21 sunless tanners you'll also get:
- Information about the colour, evenness, drying times and scent of the products.
- Useful tanning tips.