Less clutter in the loungeroom
If you’re looking to update your TV and video recorder but don’t want yet another device in the lounge room, the LG Time Machine may be a good option. The LG 50PS80ED is a 50-inch Plasma TV with an inbuilt DVR. From the outside, it looks the same as any other flat-panel TV, but inside is a 250GB hard drive that can record up to 35 hours of HD video.
Our tester rated the timer recording very easy to use — a record button on the remote is all you need to start recording, or you can use the electronic program guide to record shows up to a week ahead. The TV also has a very good digital tuner and a Time Shift feature to ensure you don’t miss anything you’re watching live. However, it doesn’t include a DVD recorder.
- Recorded programs each have 11 thumbnails and you can use any to commence playback.
- Excellent score for timer recording.
- Recorded programs don't show channel and time on the main screen – you need to access another screen to see them.
- Thumbnail screens can’t be changed.
- No recording protection ability.
- No recording division ability (not possible to split a recorded program).