Test results for five simple to use mobiles for seniors and kids, priced from $175 to $340.
Australians have taken to mobile phones, with the 22 million-plus devices in use outnumbering the population. It’s easy to see the appeal – packed with all the bells and whistles, the latest models are highly sophisticated pieces of technology. But comments on the CHOICE website show some users just want a phone that can make and take calls.
An affordable, easy-to-use phone is useful for parents to give their children to stay in contact, while many seniors want a phone with a menu system and button setup that is clear and uncluttered.
CHOICE tested five phones without the features that could complicate the process of making and taking phone calls. They aim to help users with hearing or sight impairment, or those wanting to send quick calls or alerts when in trouble. All the phones on test have an illuminated keypad, and include the ability to call or SMS a series of numbers in an emergency and simple access keys for numbers used most often.
Online purchase only
Please note, these models are not available for purchase in stores in Australia and must be purchased online. Please see, Why you can not buy these for more information.
- Doro PhoneEasy 410gsm
- Doro PhoneEasy 338gsm
- Emporia Lifeplus
- Fitage Big Easy 2
- Oricom EZY100
We rated each model for:
- Normal daily use
- Sound quality receiving
- Sound quality sending
- Instruction manual
- Suitability for users with poor sight
- Suitability for users with poor hearing
- Suitability for users with restrictive movement
- Emergency button performance
- Battery life
What else you'll get in this report
As well as the test results for the five mobiles you'll also get:
- Our interactive database with test results, prices, specs and features for all models
- Invaluable buying information: Plus practical tips on how to choose the right plan for your needs. Read this before you buy!
- CHOICE Shopper: Buy a membership and get this exclusive members' service that can save you time and money on your purchase.