People's CHOICE Award: Best Value Mobile Phone Service

TPG voted best mobile carrier in the 2011 CHOICE Awards.
Learn more

04.Where to complain

If you’re having problems with your mobile phone service provider, there are several avenues open to you.

The first step is to phone, email or write to your provider stating the problem and asking for it to be addressed. Always keep a copy of all your correspondence and keep a record of your phone call by recording the name, date and transcript of the conversation. Make sure you record the full name and phone number of the person you spoke to.

Wait a suitable length of time for the company to contact you about the problem. If you don’t hear anything back, call or email. Again, keep a record. If you still don’t hear anything back or the service provider’s actions are insufficient and don’t resolve the problem, you will have to take it further.

Contact the Fair Trading office in your state or territory for general consumer complaints, such as faulty products, warranties and refunds and repairs. If the dispute is specifically related to your mobile phone service, you can contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) which has a dispute resolution service. The free service is available to consumers after they have tried to resolve the problem directly with their ISP.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) provides consumer information on internet services that cover costs, quality of service and how to choose an ISP. Follow the links under ‘Internet’.

Sign up to our free

Receive FREE email updates of our latest tests, consumer news and CHOICE marketing promotions.

Your say - Choice voice

Make a Comment

Members – Sign in on the top right to contribute to comments