Using the table
All programs are free as tested. All have cropping functionality.
Scores The overall score includes an assessment of advanced editing (35%), basic editing (25%), usability (15%), ease of learning (10%), help information (5%), initial setup (5%) and input (5%). TABLE NOTES
(A) Included with OS X at no cost, but can also be purchased for $15.99 at the Mac App Store.
(B) Via included raw-to-JPG converter.
(C) Via command-line or plug-in
* Compatible with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7/8.
How we test
- Advanced editing covers retouch/effect brush tool, special effects/filters, cloning tool, layer handling and border designs (picture frames).
- Basic editing covers the most common editing functions – cropping, resizing, red-eye reduction, auto-adjust image settings (colour correction, balance, contrast), image rotation, batch editing, image straightening and conversion to grayscale/B&W.
- Usability includes before and after previews, size of the preview, editing history functions and editing processing speed.
- Initial setup includes downloading, installing and configuring the software.
- Help information includes any tutorials, video (including official YouTube instruction) and other assistance such as wizards and documentation.
- Ease of learning takes into account the ease of becoming familiar with the program. Input covers file formats, plus navigating to and selecting pictures for editing.