02.What to buy
There’s not a lot of space between the top six laptops in the final overall score.
- The Dell Studio 1555 was the top scored laptop and is very well priced in the configuration we tested.
- The Apple MacBook is let down by having only two USB ports, no multi-format card reader and a relatively small hard drive, but is still a very stylish and well integrated package and the included iLife software suite adds to its overall value. It can also be set up to run Windows (not included) as well as Mac OS X.
- The Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 topped the performance scores and and comes with three-year warranty.
- The Fujitsu L1010 was also a great performer but was the most expensive laptop in this test.
- The Dell Inspiron 1525 was the cheapest laptop tested and excellent value overall.
- The Acer Extensa 4630Z is a well balanced package, but our test unit came with Vista Business. This lacks the media centre software of Vista Premium, which is a better option for most people.