We review 15 portable high chairs priced $49 to $150.
Regular high chairs are a popular way to seat a toddler at the table, but can be bulky and expensive. If you want a cheaper and more compact option, a portable high chair can be a good alternative. There are three types:
Clip-on or hook-on chairs are attached to the table, which should be solid and stable. Clamps need to be tight enough to hold it in place without damaging the table. Clip-on high chairs generally have no foot support and usually fold or flatten for storage or transport.
Booster seats strap to a chair and elevate the child to table height. They can have a tray and may be adjustable.
Harnesses are strapped to a dining chair. They don’t elevate the child to table level, but have the advantage of being very compact and portable.
For more information furniture for Babies and kids see Living and kitchen or Nursery.
Chicco Quick Adjust
Infa Baby Diner Chair
Phil & Teds Lobster
Phil & Teds Metoo
Chicco Mr. Party
Fisher-Price Healthy Care Deluxe
Infa-Secure 431 Vera Foldable
Love N Care BP Boost Portable Booster Seat
Safety 1st Recline & Grow
The First Years Swing Tray Booster Seat
How we test
Our tester, Antonio Bonacruz, checked for safety and durability based on relevant Australian and European standards; there’s no specific Australian standard for these types of portable high chairs. Our requirements and tests are generally based on key clauses of the European Standard EN 1272 - Table-mounted chairs (which covers clip-on or hook-on types of chair), and other related Australian standards for children's products. The points checked include:
- Ingestion or inhalation of small objects (choking hazards)
- Sharp corners, edges and points
- Entrapment in openings - could a child get their finger, limb or head trapped in any accessible openings?
- Entrapment between moving components
- Is the harness adequate to safely secure the child?
- Structural integrity and strength
- Does the clamping or strapping system adequately fasten the seat to the table or chair, so that it won't slip or fall off, creating a falling hazard for the child?
CHOICE's independence is guaranteed
These independent ratings are only available through membership with CHOICE Online because no one tests products like we do. Arm yourself with our unique and exclusive information and make your next purchase with confidence.