There are the baby essentials, such as a cot, nappies, and baby clothes... then there are the nice-to-have items. Some parents might regard some of these as essential too, but most families won't need all these items. However, they can make life with baby easier and (depending on your home) safer too.
Most of these items aren't needed from day one. And as with the essential items, you might receive some as gifts, especially clothing and toys.
- Baby carrier or sling
- Change table, although this may be considered essential if you want to protect your back
- Portable highchair
- Portable cot
- Baby monitor
- Safety equipment such as safety gates, child-resistant locks and catches
- Baby bath. You can wash baby in the family bathtub or a sink, but a baby bath can make the job easier
- Baby sleeping bag
- Bouncer or rocker
- Breast pump
- Breast pads - four pairs of reusable pads, or a packs of disposables
- Baby bag for taking the essentials on outings
- Cotton wool squares or wipes, baby wipes, zinc cream (for preventing and treating nappy rash), petroleum jelly
- Day clothes - a special outfit or two for when baby's on display
- Toys and amusements
- Olive oil for massage and moisturising.