Child care options guide

How do you find quality child care that matches your requirements?
Learn more
  • Updated:1 Sep 2009


Child care Access Hotline

For information on child care vacancies, child care services in your area, quality issues, types of child care and government assistance with child care cost.
Freecall 1800 670 305 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 9pm EST)

National Child care Accreditation Council (NCAC)

For information on child care services available in your area, quality control and some useful factsheets
Phone (02) 8260 1900 or 1300 136 554 (local call cost) Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm EST)

Family Day Care Australia

Freecall 1800 621 218

National Association of Community Based Children’s Services (NACBCS)

Phone: (03) 9486 3455.

National In Home Care Association

Phone: (02) 6552 5088

Child care Associations Australia

Website:; see the website for various telephone contacts in each state.

Family Assistance Office


  • If you have a problem with a child care service it’s usually best to first raise the concern directly with the centre. The National Child care Accreditation Council (NCAC) has a factsheet with some tips.
  • You can also lodge a formal complaint with NCAC, see the factsheet.
  • If you think a child care centre is in breach of regulatory requirements (for example, it’s short-staffed, or the building is unsafe), you can complain to the state or territory body that licenses the centre. For a list of contacts for state and territory licensing authorities, go to

Sign up to our free

Receive FREE email updates of our latest tests, consumer news and CHOICE marketing promotions.