02.2010 Shonky Award winner POWER BALANCE not so powerful says ACCC
The plastic wristbands, which claim to improve balance, strength and flexibility have been exposed as a fake by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). CHOICE has been making this assertion since independently testing the product in August 2010. CHOICE’s tests revealed the band and pendant had no effect on performance. This is undoubtedly a big CHOICE win for consumers.
“CHOICE of course listed the Power Balance among its Shonky Awards and quite accurately said the only effect was on emptying wallets.” Said ACCC Chairman Graeme Samuel.
Power balance has provided the ACCC with court enforceable undertakings that it will:
- Only make claims about products if they are supported by a written report from an independent testing body that meets certain standards
- Publish corrective advertising to prevent customers from being misled in the future
- Amend the Australian website and packaging to remove any misleading representations
- Offer a refund to any consumers who feel they have been misled
- Remove the word "performance technology" from the band itself
"Consumers should be wary of other similar products on the market that make unsubstantiated claims, when they may be no more beneficial than a rubber band." said Samuel.
Consumers with refund enquiries can call Power Balance on 1800 733 436.
Unfortunately, the company's YouTube page seems to have slipped through the cracks: Power Balance has yet to remove a range of videos supporting their bogus claims from the site.